Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Curb Side Jalouise Window Part 1...

I had a pretty good day today. I pulled the "kitchen" Jalouise window and a few drip caps to get polished. I also removed a lot of the stuff from inside the trailer. I pulled the interior lights, bunk brackets, and started removing the cabinet doors. Nothing major but it really gives you a idea of what you need to wrap you head around and concentrate on. I hope to soon sand and re-shellac the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. It isn't mission critical but something that can take awhile and there isn't reason to rush a project like it. I'm still tackling one thing at a time.


Ultimately, I still need to find a shelter to get the trailer in so I can really dig into it. I can't move ahead with pulling some of the skin back and repairing some of the rot. Opening up the trailer to get things repaired to move ahead with the projects needs to happen at some point. My painting process itself will take a few days itself. I have been trying to track down one of those portable shelters that I can store it under. Most I find on Craigslist are too small, junky, or not tall enough. Cheap is the name of the game here. I don't have a budget that I can just go to a supplier like Shelter Logic and buy one so I have been scouring Craigslist trying to find a used one that works. I will keep everyone in the loop on that side project.


Back to the restoration...


Here is the curb side Jalouise window. I pulled this window a while ago. You can see most of it in that jumble of parts I showed you before. I pulled it apart to really give it a good polish. Unfortunately you can't do that when the window is whole. One of the downsides of these windows is the the were assembled with steel tubular rivets. The rivets on my Jalouise widows are almost completely gone. I will be replacing them with aluminum rivets. The level of oxidation of the aluminum was surprising also. I really wasn't expecting what I found. There was quite a bit of pitting on some parts like the lower sill. The rubber seals were hard and brittle and there was hardly any pile left on the strips. Everything will also get replaced. Here is the window straight from the trailer...
I really didn't take too many shots of the window before I disassembled it. Everything got the wet sand and polish treatment. I am still loving that buffer. It does a great job on these thicker frame pieces...
Good looking stuff...
Here are the glass holders and rods....
And thats it for now...

I did get my new rivets. Now I just have to set them, reinstall the seals, and reassemble the window. Look for a part 2 soon.

No comments: