Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Parts...

Not the most exciting thing in the world but I got a drip rail knocked out. Luckily the drip rail for the rear window that was removed for the AC unit was saved and found in the trailer. Here we go...

 Here it is in the raw. It isn't in real bad shape just needs a polish...
I started wet sanding with 400 grit and 600 grit. Finished up with 1500 grit. I did this all very quickly but it needed the corrosion removed...
It still had the dried putty on the back of the drip rail. I use a very fine wire wheel chucked in my drill to go at the crud. I only use the wheel on the back of the drip rail because I think the wheel is too aggressive for the front that I want to be very smooth and shiny. The point is to get nice smooth surface for the new putty to stick to when it is reinstalled on the trailer.
The backside cleaned of any residue...
Here is the front side again. Now polished. I'm still not happy with the final product but it is much better than when is started. Like I said before, the thinner aluminum does give up a real deep reflective shine that other thicker pieces do. Oh well.
This shot is only because I love the before and after shots...

One down... 8 more drip rails to go.

No comments: