Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It's Been SOOOO Long... Part 2

I guess it is hard to know what to show next. But I will try to keep it in chronological order. Here we go...

- After installing the paneling and rebuilding the dinette platform cabinets, the rear goncho, and the nightstand... I sanded EVERYTHING. I do mean everything. That was quite a project in itself. There are so many surfaces that had old shellac that needed the finished knocked off to get ready for new shellac. I think I did around 4 or 5 applications of Bullseye Amber Shellac. Again. I don't have any progress pics of this. I apologize. The new finish is darker which isn't a bad thing. It does look much darker in the all of the pictures than in person....





-I remounted all the cabinet doors and drawers. I bought brand new chrome hinges. The old ones were not in the best of shape. The new ones while not seen as a big deal make a big difference. I am glad I made that purchase. I think I may have mentioned before that I got new drawer pulls as a Christmas gift. They are the boomerang pulls from Rejuvenation. Those pulls are a perfect reproduction of the kind Shasta used in their trailers. Unfortunately our pulls had been replaced at some point. I didn't really cry much about that because I knew Rejuvenation had the right pulls to replace our cheapo box store pulls. Here are the new pulls. I think they look great...



-Here is a finished Shasta magazine rack mounted. Not much to say. You saw the progress pics in the last post...


-I also had redone the sconces. They were brass but painted with gold paint. I stripped the paint and painted them with Duplicolor chrome. I don't mind brass in some applications but with all of the aluminum trim on the cabinetry the brass didn't make much sence at all. Here is one of them without the shade...
I really didn't take great pictures of them before or even after but here is one now redone and mounted along with the reconstructed and refinished Shasta magazine rack...

Here is one in the rear above the goucho...


- I gave some attention to the stove which wasn't in the best shape. I refinished all of the surfaces the best I could. The chrome trim was rusted and pitted. I tried to shine that the best I could. I just went with a brushed finish. The burners and grates were very rusted. I knocked off the rust and painted them with high heat barbecue black. Finally cleaned the inside the best I could but it wasn't that bad inside...




-I also tackled the formica. It is isn't actually Formica brand it is Pionite. Pionite Surfin' USA to be specific. I made all new sliding doors for the upper cabinets...

And the goucho sliders...


-We liked the original laminate but it was not in good shape. Burn marks, scratches, and dull spots weren't really doing it for us. We decided to replace it. I did the back splash in the same laminate. One thing that was never a feature in the original trailers. For some reason Shasta used white back splashes with plastic trim which I never cared for. I also extended the back splash up to the window. I just think it looks better that way. I also made new aluminum trim for the laminate. The original trim on the lip was redone and is still there. I just added to it. I think the additional trim aluminum looks good...


The fridge bump out...

I added an outlet to the fridge bump out. I think it will come in handy...
The sink of course...



- I also made new aluminum trim for the rear window because that was missing. I also made trim for the kitchen window because for some reason Shasta did that one window with wood trim. Aluminum looks better...


-Just of couple of more because I like the way this looks...



I think that is about it for now. I hope to make some more progress in the next couple of days. Stay tuned...


3 comments:

Darcy and Paul said...

Awesome Brian!!!! Looks just fantastic. Great job and keep the posts coming!

Root said...

Nice work Boss. Keep thrashing....

PPR HI and fine Woodworks inc. said...

how much you pay for your shasta when you bought it?