Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Moving Right Along...

This post isn't as timely as it should be. I have been doing work that takes a bunch of time but it is what it is. You can't rush some things.  Lets get to it...

I managed to get all of the insulation in all of the walls. It is such a slow process just because each panel is a different size. I think all of this will help. Here is the curbside...
The rear...
The blue paint is left over exterior paint from another project that I applied to all of the new framing to help keep water from soaking in if it does get behind the skin. It isn't bulletproof but it is better than nothing at all. The street side from the rear...
The street side from the front...
I have managed to stuff it in every nook and cranny that I could. I wish I could get every area but most areas aren't accessible doing the type of restoration we are doing.

Moving on. I put the final coat on the A Frame and coupler area. I talked about it a little bit in this post but I should explain the process a bit more. I used chemical stripper on the old paint. Scraping as much paint as I could off of the areas. Then I used a wire wheel and a flap disk to remove the rust and remaining paint. I primed with same Rustoleum that I used on the entire frame. I then used Rustoleum Professional in the aluminum color. I ran out of that paint so I finished it off with Rustoleum Silver Metallic in rattle cans. I think it looks a ton better than it did originally...  
Here is the before and after...
I also did the same thing on the bumper. Here is the final coat...
And the before and after...
This bumper needs to replaced but that may come farther down the road. The rust removal and paint will help    keep it serviceable for a while longer.

I also FINALLY got the floor tiles and linoleum scraped off. That project seemed to take entirely too long. I don't know if I have mentioned it before but you really have the right tool for that. I started with my Dremel Multi-Max and the rigid scraper. It tool took WAY too long. It would work if you had a tiny section to remove but it isn't the right tool. I bought a heavy duty floor scraper with replaceable blades. Like this one..
It works so much better because it really is the right tool for the job. Those tiles seemed to fail after all this time but that glue or mastic or whatever it is that they used to adhere to tiles is a bear to scrape up. Wear your mask and all of that good stuff too. They say that the tiles contain asbestos. I wore my respirator because I am sure those little disposable ones won't do the trick. Here is the work done...
Another shot...

I cut and fit the new closet panel also...

I pulled the ceiling panel to start work on that area...

I should have new stuff soon. I have written out my to-do list. I won't bore you with it but it is really long when you write it out like that. It does motivate me to push on. Stay tuned for more...

4 comments:

tkcopley said...

You are moving right along. She looks great. Keep it up!

kpaints said...

Great job, it is truly hard to get to all the interior places to insulate but you did a wonderful job! It's coming along great.

Jone said...

ok I bow to you. I started trying to just CLEAN my Shasta and almost ended up in tears at the prospect of all that needs to be done. You are an inspiration... but I may just have to keep mine the way it is... not sure if I can swing these resto projects!

Blogger said...

I've just installed iStripper, so I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.